The guys at Google have decided there are too many of logins and systems in Google and have merged everything in to one. Of course this created a bit of chaos, but it sounds like a good idea if works.
After few sessions we decided how our internal Google account system should work and we started changing emails unfortunately this come very quickly to stop when we found Google’s changing mechanism simply doesn’t work for us. I submitted this page to a Google forum in order to explain what is wrong.
Some data in pictures below has been erased or censored as they contain sensitive information.
We believe Google apps creates problem with how it treats aliases, groups etc. When we were first requested to update our accounts we first used an account which hasn’t been used and wouldn’t matter if the data was lost.
1) We started following Google’s instructions:
2) We were pleased to receive a confirmation email about the change of email address
3) We then received Google email change verification message (This was also good)
then there was a trouble…
4) Google’s instructions say:
1. Check your email account associated with new address – we did this
2. Open the message from Google that contains subject line “Google Accounts: Email Change Verification.” – we did this
3. Visit the verification link provided - we have done it this part too
5) We did it all as mentioned but our email didn’t change
6) We visited the only available troubleshooting it explored subject to it deepest parts ;-). Of course we followed these instructions about 10 times just to make sure we did everything properly
7) At some point we discovered Google thinks our email account has been used for Google Account
Of course we did all possible research to try and out find who used this email account to setup Google Account and we found there is no such a person :-). In this case we did attempt another visit to Google Account tools to find out more about this mystery account login and…
8) Google let us know there is no such account in their database so??? Is there or it isn’t?
Circle started and continues – we can not change email because Google says Google Accounts for this email exists this is not true as it was never setup but we host our email with Google Apps (we only made assumption this could be a problem which Google overlooked). On the other hand Google says no account for this email exists – a bit of contradiction :-(.
We reckon after recent change Google has some problems with Accounts unless we simply missing something. Either way there is no serious support for this change online or at least standard troubleshooting is not sending people there. From annoying change our problem started to be an issue at this moment.
We simply looking in to solution from Google for our problem and we will appreciate all comments from people who had had similar problem we just wonder if we are the only ones. If you know any solutions to this will be great to hear from you.
I’ll just add now before anyone suggests it using gmail for logins is not an option for us as it will create management chaos no different from the current one. We had one of our accounts already forced to do it and we would be glad to find out how we can get back to our corporate email on this account but that’s a different story.